Cockroaches prefer warm, moist places with available food sources, so eliminating those attractive environments can help prevent cockroach infestations.
Arizona Pest Control offers the following tips to avoid cockroach infestations:
- Do not allow dirty dishes to accumulate in the sink and remain there overnight
- Keep food scraps in the refrigerator or in containers with tight-fitting lids
- Remove garbage from the home on a routine basis and vacuum regularly
- Periodically check and clean the evaporation pan under the refrigerator or freezer
- Seal cracks around the outside of the home to prevent pest entryways
- If you suspect you have an infestation, contact a licensed pest professional to identify the species and recommend a course of treatment.