Bug Blog

Protect Your Pets From Bees Stings

The fist thing most people think of when they see a bee is that they or another human around them might get stung. But, what about the animals hanging around us too? Humans aren’t the only ones who need to watch out for bees. Our furry friend need us to watch out for them because a bee sting can be just as dangerous to a dog, even leading to death in certain situations. One thing in particular you need to watch out for is your dog possibly trying to eat said bee. This can be incredibly dangerous.

Dogs are fascinated by anything that flies such as bees, butterflies, and other flying insects. If they see one, they are almost certainly going to try and catch it in their mouth. This is why most dogs tend to get stung on their face and around their mouth. If your dog manages to actually get the bees trapped in their mouth, that bee is likely to sting them wherever it can. That includes near the back of their tongue and even their esophagus. This will cause serious problems even if your dog is not allergic to bees, as all bee stings cause some type of swelling, meaning that bee sting could make their throat swell and block them from being able to breath.

If you see your dog get stung by a bee prepare yourself for a possible allergic reaction. You need to judge how bad the swelling is and if they need to be taken to a veterinarian. If you can, remove the bee stinger immediately. You need to watch them for at least 24 hours, as anaphylactic shock can occur any time during that period. The best way to alleviate any swelling is with ice placed on the spot. If your dog is in pain but doesn’t need to be taken to the vet, you can soak a washcloth in a mixture of baking soda and water and put it over the wound. It’s best not to take any chances with the health of your furry friend, however, so if you see any sign that they might need medical attention, take them to the vet immediately.

Has your pet ever been stung by a bee and what did you do when it happened?