Venom is produced by a pair of glands located near the end of the tail and is injected into its victim by the stinger. The sensation is a sharp pain that usually lasts for 15 to 20 minutes.
Reactions may vary depending on age or sensitivity of the individual and the amount of venom injected.
Adult reactions may include:
- Immediate pain or burning
- Sensitivity to touch
- A numb/tingling sensation
- Rapid breaking
How to treat Arizona Scorpion Stings
First Aid: The majority of stings occurring in healthy young adults may be managed at home with basic first aid measures and follow-up.
First aid should include
- cleaning the site with soap and water
- cool compress
- position affected limb to a comfortable position
- over the counter medication as needed for minor discomfort
- Call 1-800-222-1222 for poison experts to determine if you need to go to the hospital.