IT'S TERMITE SEASON! PROTECT YOUR HOME FROM AN INFESTATION
Arizona Pest Control works to educate homeowners of termite threats and offers prevention tips
As spring approaches, termites seek out moisture-damaged homes and can quickly chew through wood, flooring and even wallpaper undetected. Once a colony is established, the damage they cause can be quite severe. According to the NPMA, termite infestations cause more than $5 billion in property damage each year - an expense typically not covered by homeowners insurance.
"Termites usually emerge with the arrival of warmer weather in spring, and during/after monsoons" says Arizona Pest Control Owner Bruce Tennenbaum."Termites can be difficult to spot with the naked eye, but homeowners should remain vigilant and make every effort to eliminate or reduce moisture around their home to help ward off an infestation
Arizona Pest Control offers the following termite prevention tips:
- Divert water away from your home's foundation by installing properly functioning downspouts, gutters and splash blocks.
- Reduce humidity in crawl spaces with proper ventilation.
- Trim vines, hedges and other vegetation to prevent them from blocking vents.
- Remove old form boards, grade stakes, tree trunks and roots near a building, as they may attract termites.
- Maintain an 18-inch gap between soil and any wood portions of your home.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house and 5 inches off the ground. Check it for pests before bringing it indoors.
- Routinely inspect the foundation of your home for signs of termite damage.
"Homeowners who notice signs of termites or potential termite damage should contact a pest professional who can best determine the extent of the problem and recommend a proper course of action," added Tennenbaum