Bedbugs are extremely thin and can creep into anything, which makes dealing with a bed bug infestation a pain in the neck. You can find them in your clothing, sheets, luggage, couches, and, of course, their favorite area, your bed. The second next desired spot of bed bugs is clothes.
New! But true.
Bed bugs use clothes as a means of traveling from one place to another. So, if you keep your dirty laundry for a long time before you wash it, it will soon become a bedbug’s paradise.
If the presence of bed bugs goes undetected and unnoticed for a long time, they can get all over your clothing and make the situation even worse. For this reason, there are few tips you should follow to keep your clothes safe from bed bugs, especially the ones that have potentially come in contact with the infected areas.
If you want to eliminate the threat of bed bugs from your clothes, then you are on the right page. This blog is about to provide some handy tips that will keep bed bugs off your clothes.
Let’s dive in.
Where Do Bed Bugs Come From?
Bed bugs are excellent hitchhikers and can effortlessly catch a ride on anything, such as your suitcase, coat, or purse. That said, bed bugs are also brought to your home by the houseguests or visitors who visit you.
Simply put, bed bugs can hitch a ride from almost anywhere, including:
- Retail clothing stores
- Movie theatres and libraries
- Apartments, hotels, and hostels
- Public transportation and transport stations
How to Keep Bed Bugs out of Your Wardrobe?
Let’s learn some of the most effective methods of keeping bed bugs away from your clothes both for your comfort and so that you don’t spread them to others.
- Sorting out:Before you take your clothes for washing, sort every single article of clothing exposed to bed bugs and seal them up in heavy-duty bags to prevent the bed bugs from getting out. Remember! One item of clothing with bed bugs on it is enough to keep an infestation going, so make sure to not leave any infested clothing items behind.
- Washing and Drying:Washing and drying your clothes regularly is essential to exterminate bed bugs and keep them away. When putting your clothes into the washing machine, ensure that you do not touch them, since bed bugs could attach themselves to the clothes you’re wearing or onto you.
- High-Temperature Cleaning:Using high temperatures to wash your clothes will maximize the effectiveness of bed bug control as it is the finest way to kill bed them. Bed bugs of all life stages die when exposed to high temperatures for more than 30 minutes. So, putting your clothes on medium to high settings can kill all bed bugs.
- Proper Storage: Yes, we all do that, but there is a proper way to store clothes that have been washed after infestation. Store your clothes in heavy-duty plastic bags or tightly-sealed plastic containers until you have a pest control team come in and inspect your home for any bed bugs and take care of the infestation for you.
Unfortunately, washing clothes in hot water is not a permanent solution as bed bugs can thrive in several places. If you don’t have bed bugs in your house, take precautionary measures to prevent them from infesting your home. However, if you find yourself amidst an unfortunate position of bed bug infestation, seek the help of professional bed bug control services from Arizona Pest Control to get rid of them as quickly as possible. Contact us today at 520-886-7378 for a free evaluation.